Argan Oil

WHY USE BEAUTY OIL? | MAKEUP MONDAY

10:00 am

Hiya Everyone,

I have used beauty oils for a while but in the beginning I was definitely super sceptical. I don't like my face feeling like a grease ball so I had delayed trying any oils. However I recently have been wanting to do my research about which are the best to use and I thought I would share my new found knowledge with you guys.

I love skincare products and I am still trying to establish an everyday routine that I am 100% truly happy with and does exactly what I want it to do for my skin.

A facial oil is classed as any non-fragrant plant or synthetic oil that can be used anywhere on the body. All oils add moisture and smoothness to your skin and will have some sort of antioxidant benefit. Organic facial oils hydrate and balance the skin regardless of skin type. A big concern I had at first was "Will this clog my pores"? No!! Facial Oils do not clog your pores! This is due to oils being too big to fit into the pore so do not worry about this.

Mecca Maxima - Josie Maran 100% Argan Oil ($58)
Definitely a favourite of mine <3
WHY USE AN OIL?
Oils are a fantastic source of moisture for the body filled with antioxidants and vitamins. Not only are oils great from a moisturising point of view but they can help to protect the skin and can aid in delaying the signs of ageing though improving your skins barrier function.

For all of you who have oily skin do not be put off by oils. They can actually help your skin from being oily. I know! Sounds insane but honestly. Oily skin can be caused due to the skin producing excess oil as you are over-drying it. By applying oils to the face your skin starts thinking it is producing enough oil hence you will trick it into producing less oil than normal. I hope that makes sense.

SO WHEN AND HOW SHOULD YOU APPLY OILS?
This is still quite a debated point. Facial oils should be applied after your moisturiser. This is because they help trap moisture from your moisturiser and keeps it from dissipating. If you apply an oil before your moisturiser you are essentially preventing the moisturiser from penetrating the skin. When applying a facial oil you only need to use a little, you do not need a lot. Before applying you want to start with cleansed, clean skin. Pop a small amount of oil onto your fingertips. Rub your fingertips together to distribute the oil and press the oils into your cheeks forehead and then chin. Follow this with gentle upward strokes to evenly distribute the oil all over the face.
Chemist Warehouse - Melrose Unrefined Coconut Oil ($9.25)
BENEFITS
Oils, such as argan and marula, offer fantastic benefits to the skin including free-radical protection whilst being potent antioxidants.
Oils can improve the tolerance of your skin. argan, yangu and borage-seed oils are great for reducing inflammation and can prevent irritation caused by some ingredients found in anti-ageing products.
Oils can help to plump up your skin. By the time we reach our late 30s the natural oils in your skin decrease, your moisture barrier breaks down and your skin starts to dry out. Oils are lipophilic, which means they are fat loving, they can pass through the lipid stage of the skin faster and in turn aid in less water loss and plumping the skin more effectively with moisture. If you are looking for a great moisturising oil try olive oil or coconut oil. See my post on the uses of olive oil as well as my post on coconut oil. Coconut oil is a staple oil in my house, there are just so many practical uses for it.
Although we are always saying apply oils after moisturiser, there is an exception. Because oils aid in better absorption try applying your oil before your anti-ageing creams. In doing this the oil tricks the skin into letting active ingredients such as retinol, glycol acid and Vitamin-C deeper into the skin without irritating the skin's surface, which they are prone to do.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

Like us on Facebook